Pages custom

How to Brighten a Dark Space

I recently moved out of an apartment with tons of natural light and french windows, into a bottom floor apartment that is just plain dark.  Decorating this apartment has definitely been much more of a challenge.  I have been experimenting and testing with different ways of brightening up the space, so I thought I'd share what I've found...

1. Paint!
My entire apartment was painted a boring shade of Navajo White,  (and when I say my "entire" apartment... I mean the walls, doors, trim, cabinets, even the ceiling).  After buying around 15 sample cans and painting countless squares all over my apartment, I finally decided on Benjamin Moore Abalone (a beautiful shade light gray with a hint of beige).  


2. Make use of mirrors
The more mirrors you have, the more light is reflected and bounced around the room.  I strategically placed mirrors in my living room and dining room that would catch the light from my sliding glass doors and spread it around the room.

3. Decorate with metallics
Just like the mirrors, the metallics reflect light!  I have the below metallic pieces spread throughout my apartment.



4. Plants
I was worried that decorating with plants would make my dark apartment feel like a jungle, but it did the opposite.  They brought so much life to my apartment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...